Sunday 11 October 2015

Breast cancer awareness month: Winning the race

Author: PJW

In 9 small months, not even a year,
a dark tunnel I've walked through.
But today here I stand,
I'm still here, I'm alive
But not the girl I once knew.
I speak the words you want hear,
"I'm fine, I'm well, yes, all done"
And the reply you give is "you're so positive"
"You've had to be for your daughter and son."
Don't you think I know that?
Can you not feel my guilt?
Our family is broken
Good foundations that we built.
Yes I'm here, I'm alive
And my future looks good,
But my children have seen things
No child ever should.
The scars are healing
And my hair is back
It's time to get us all back on track.
But where am I? Where do I fit in?
I'm still running a race that I might never win.
But today is mile one, and that's how it will go.
One step at a time, take it slow.
My body is weak, my bones they ache,
But I'm winning this race with every step I take.

No comments:

Post a Comment